Combined Portfolio Views - Group Holdings

Hi!
First up, I love everything about the platform and watching it grow! You’re doing an amazing job.

My situation may not be the same as everyone else, but I had the expectation that if I was viewing a grouped portfolio, that identical holdings from different portfolios would be combined to show the total return etc when in the grouped view?
An option to split/combine the same holding in a portfolio group would be nice.

I agree, this would be very useful. I understand that combining would mean you could not navigate to an individual holding, and hence the split/combine toggle would then allow switching to the mode so you could navigate to the individual holding.

I submit this as comment and debate rather than a specific requirement.

When I combine multiple portfolios my primary analysis that I want to gain is to make sure; overall, I’ve got some balance.

So If I’m combining my wife’s portfolio (lets say CBA, ANZ, CSL, WPL), mine (Say CBA, WBC, BHP, WES) and perhaps our superfund (Say CBA, NAB, TCL, BHP, CSL) then presuming if the investments are equally weighted within each portfolio and the Superfund is twice the size of mine and mine is twice the size of my wife’s then the holding with CBA should stick out like a sore thumb and the fact we are overweight in banking is a problem.

Todo that I would need to see a total of any combined stock holdings. You could do this as subtotal if two or more portfolios held the same stock code. Perhaps the most important factor is the percentage holding to the combined portfolio.

Ideally this should be arranged by sector so I can see all the banks versus, energy, retail etc.

My other reason for a combined portfolio is that I have actually 20+ portfolios within the family office and over 300+ open positions of which over 100+ are unique.

Another way of expressing this is, in any combined portfolio at the subtotal level there would be over 100+ lines, if you showed this at the portfolio level there would be 300+ lines plus totals where appropriate. Occasionally I forget where things are and in which portfolio contains a certain holding. So I like to use the combined portfolio as an index.

The question is then how should this navigate?

Option A: is to just show the totals of the various holdings in the combined portfolios. In my example this would be the 100+ lines… By clicking on a holding it would either go the holding in the relevant portfolio if there was only a single holding or display the portfolios that the holding occurred in. If I click on one of them then that holding in that portfolio would be displayed.

Within this option you would show at least the total combined quality held, market value, capital gain, perhaps percentage of the combined portfolio. Much the same as what you show now.

At the next level where you have holdings in more than 1 portfolio then you would want to see that in relation to each portfolio’s holding. The weighting probably needs to be changed to either as a percentage to each other or as a percentage in that portfolio…

Option B: List each holding and a subtotal in the report. when you click on a holding you go to that holding in the portfolio.

Option B is a longer report and if you are combining 2 or 3 portfolio’s probably ok. Option A would be favoured by me with a lot more portfolio’s to combine…

Where does either option becomes of more value than the other is probably not based around the number of portfolios to combine but the number of combined investments that you have.