How do I process an in-specie dividend

On the 1st June 2022 BHP received an in-specie dividend for shares in Woodside. How do I process this transaction?

2 Likes

I was just about to post the same question. I can see the dividend is recognised in my BHP summary but obviously I can’t assign it as an issuing of WDS shares.

1 Like

Hi All,

As these shares were of course paid out as an in specie distribution, you will need to enter a dividend in your BHP holding to represent it as income.

1. ​Go to your BHP individual holding page

2. Scroll to the dividend section

3. ​Click ‘Add’

4. In the Franked Amount section, enter the total dividend received = (BHP Units multiplied by $5.38)

5. In the Franking Credit section, enter the franked amount = (BHP Units multiplied by $2.30)

6. Click save

2 Likes

Forgive me for being a little confused, if I enter it as a dividend on BHP(which I can see has already been automatically implemented), what is the correct way to attribute the purchase cost of the WDS shares that were issued?

1 Like

anyone have an answer to this ?

Is it as simple as “ADD” a new holding as a “Trade type” as a BUY ??

Naverra posted a good answer above. You are essentially being paid a dividend but in shares, so just add those shares as a purchase and the dividend payment as well.